Note: Affiliate links may be used in this post. I may receive a small commission at no extra cost to you if you use my affiliate link. You can read full disclosure policy here.
Self-care is a big buzz word right now…what does it really mean? I have heard the analogy of the mother on an airplane. You have to put on your own oxygen mask before you can help someone else with theirs. So if you are running ragged and taking care of everyone else and putting yourself last, you will run out of oxygen.
Do you feel too busy with kids and work and life to take time for yourself? Even if your life is full, I highly recommend taking the time to make yourself a priority.
Before COVID-19 we had more options to practice self-care. A spa day, massage, pedicure, taking a class for fun just for yourself. We might have to be a little creative during quarantine, but here are some of my favorite ways to practice self-care.
Here Are Some Ideas For Self-Care Now
1. Read a book for fun – Here are some books on my summer reading list:
- Little Fires Everywhere – Celeste Ng
- The Giver of Stars – Jojo Moyes
- Where the Crawdads Sing – Delia Owens
- The Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes – Suzanne Collins
- The Masterpiece – Francine Rivers
2. Meditate/Pray/Write in a Gratitude Journal.
3. Go for a walk.
- Go take a 10 minute walk outside and enjoy the sights and sounds around you.
4. Paint your toenails.
- This is my favorite color when I am painting my own toenails and not going to a nail salon – Cajun Shrimp by OPI. I once gave this as a “favorite things” gift and this color looks good on everyone!
5. Blast some music that makes you feel good.
6. Do something just for you. Not for your spouse or your kids, but something that makes
7. Exercise – get your heart rate up!
8. Learn something new. Choose something you have always wanted to know more about and take a free online class or sign up for a class at your local community college.
- I had no sewing skills, and I decided to take a sewing class through my local community college when I was pregnant with my daughter. It was so fun to get some basic skills and learn how to make baby blankets!
- Right now I am learning Spanish through the Duolingo app. I do a little bit each day, and I am having so much fun brushing up on my limited high school Spanish skills.
9. Have your own spa day at home.
- Light a candle, play some relaxing music, and pamper yourself
- Take a bubble bath
- Do a face mask
- Use home teeth whitener
10. Take a yoga class.
- If you can’t go to an in-person yoga class, take a yoga class at home. BeachBody On Demand has a lot of different yoga classes to try. I am definitely a beginner to yoga, but I like the “beginner” yoga classes they offer.
A bestie of mine and I love Parks and Recreation and especially the episodes about “Treat yo self”.
We recently went and got our eyelashes done and it was amazing how awesome we both have
felt since. That is self-care. Don’t underestimate the power of self-care. How do you make sure
you are keeping yourself grounded and well-cared for? Let me know in the comments!
KristynAugust 3, 2020 at 9:38 pm
Who would have thought exploring new trails with my dog on a quiet sunny morning is treating myself. It makes me feel so revived! Thank you for some of these really fun and easy ideas
ramahAugust 4, 2020 at 9:01 am
That sounds like such a great way to practice self-care. Sounds wonderful!!
Hillary RockwellAugust 6, 2020 at 9:32 am
I recently discovered an amazing recipe for mojitos, which I have made a couple of times now. Super yummo! We have fresh mint growing, and this is a great cocktail for warm summer days. Also, I always make sure I have a good read downloaded on my Kindle from the library. It’s the little things!
ramahAugust 6, 2020 at 12:46 pm
I love mojitos! Would love your recipe. 🙂 I agree – it’s the little things that make us feel better – like a good book and a delicious mojito on a warm summer day. Thanks for sharing!
TonyaAugust 6, 2020 at 9:10 pm
I have two young children and I’m 8 months pregnant so I have very little energy. It’s been really hard to try to make time for self care. If I have a little energy I love to garden but lately I have less stamina for that so self care mostly has to happen after the kids have gone to bed and it usually involves binge watching Gilmore Girls on Netflix and eating chocolate lava cakes from Trader Joe’s (except I haven’t been able to restock my TJ’s fix since March – please send chocolate lava cakes!)
ramahAugust 7, 2020 at 9:01 am
Congrats on your pregnancy and remember – sometimes self-care while pregnant is just finding time to rest. I remember being so tired when I was pregnant – and couldn’t wait to get my energy levels back! Gilmore Girls and chocolate lava cakes from Trader Joe’s sounds amazing! I love Gilmore Girls and have binge-watched it a few times over the last few years (usually in the fall). Too bad TJ’s chocolate lava cakes are frozen or I would totally mail you some! 🙂